The Arbutus Acoustic Open Mic is the 2nd Monday of every month from 7-9 pm. Arrive between 6-6:45 to sign up to perform.
The M.C. and organizer of the event is Mark Iler. Mark started and ran the open mic for Victory Music in Seattle for over 20 years (Victory music organizes the open mics at Elliot Bay Books, Antique Sandwich Company in Tacoma and many more in the Puget Sound region). Our goal is to support acoustic musicians on their journey of exploration and growth. A small donation to Arbutus is suggested by non-performing audience ($2-$5).
Jan 8, Feb 12, March 12, April 9, May 14, June 11, July 9, Aug 13, Sept 10, Oct 8, Nov 12, Dec 10.
Arbutus Open Mic Policies
- We will have a PA system, but no amplifiers will be permitted. Among other reasons, it slows down time between performances.
- Open genre, all ages, any acoustic instrument. No spoken word.
- Performances are limited to 10 minutes or 2 songs, whichever is shorter (including set-up time). If the list of performers is small, the host can decide to allow 3 songs or can run through the list twice.
- Sign up between 6-6:45. Names will be randomly assigned time slots so everyone has an equal opportunity. There is an exception for first and last slots which can be requested.
- Musicians up next must be ready to go. The MC will call your name at least one performance ahead.
- Sign-up cards will include: name, phone number, email, comments (to assist MC doing introductions), instrument, how many years you’ve played/been in this group?
- Cover charge will be by donation (suggested $2-$5). Performing musicians don’t pay.
- Arbutus will have a table to sell your CDs etc. Arbutus will not collect a fee.
- Performers are expected to provide a “listening environment”. Distractions and talking during the event should be minimal. This event is intended to support the musicians.